Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stand up and be counted

Two nights ago I did 15 minutes of stand up comedy for the first time. Wow was it scary. It was to help raise money for a school. I only did it because I wrote down that I should try it this year as one of my goals. Goal setting is very powerful.

A few things took out of my first stand up experience


  1. It was great to get out of my comfort zone
  2. It was shit scary getting out of my comfort zone
  3. Presenting to a business audience and getting a few laughs is very different to being introduced as a comic and having the expectation on you to make them laugh
  4. I really enjoyed being in the moment when I was up on stage
  5. Tailoring content for the audience was a very similar experience to presenting
  6. Writing the content is tricky - write a lot and keep editing
  7. Memorising the lines and delivery is harder
  8. I now have even higher respect for great comedians
  9. I can sense like most things, there's a success formula the great comedians use
  10. Practicing standing up, whilst driving, in the shower and doing little run throughs were really important for me and helped a lot
  11. Getting smooth segways is no easy task
  12. Using comic props can help add impact

Now I've got the bug I'm on the lookout for my next appearance.

2 comments:

Steve's mum said...

So it was a great evening, and now we want you to send the DVD

Gull said...

Nu? So where the YouTube link?