Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Who cares?

Social networking tools are taking over the world.

Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, My Space. I'm trialling Linked In at present on the advice of some of the Microsoft community I know and trust. I'm more of an old school networker and prefer public speaking, the telephone and face to face to contact.

I've often wondered a few things about all of these tools:

1. Who cares about what you are thinking / doing unless you have a reason for me to care?
2. Who has the time to monitor / update these tools (this blog update took approx 15 minutes)?
3. Why don't you do some real work instead?
4. What about walking your dog or playing with your kids. Wouldn't that be a better long term investment?

Perhaps as Tony Hollingsworth mentioned to me yesterday these tools can turbo charge your networking. I'm not convinced yet, but am willing to trial them for 12 months. Like most things at NRG I'll measure the real results over time.

Share your social networking experiences with me here. If i don't get back to you I'm probably walking my dog. Come to think of it, I don't have dog.

No comments: